Author Topic: Renders  (Read 962 times)

desims25

Renders
« on: October 19, 2014, 03:30:19 PM »
So, I've been continuing to work on lighting and shading, and trying to improve. Here are two stills from scenes that I've worked on more recently. Combination of Maya (traditional lighting) and I've composited everything in Nuke. I modeled everything in them excluding the plants (which are just painstaking to make honestly x_X). Definitely open to thoughts and feedback!

I'm early on in working on another scene at the moment that is based on a painting called "Music" by Gustav Klimt. I'm debating whether or not I want to finish it or try something else, though. He's my favorite painter so a lot of my work has been heavily influenced by him. I'm in the process of learning how to make hair in Maya, for the character. I'm just blocking the scene in at the moment. The plan is to add some old buildings in the background and model around her to look like a balcony. Here is a render of my composition.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:33:41 PM by desims25 »

prof_v

Re: Renders
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:59:25 PM »
Demorrius,
I am up to my eyeballs in midterm grading so I have to keep this short and will write more later, but I just have to say - beautiful! It is such a pleasure to see how your work just keeps getting better and better. My favorite is the second image. Looking forward to seeing where the last one (the work in progress) is headed. It is nice to see another character piece, it will round out your portfolio.

desims25

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:45:27 AM »
Hi Professor,

Please do take your time! No worries. And thank you so much. That really is such a great compliment coming from you. I appreciate it. I look forward to any other comments you have.

I've done a bit more work on the last image. I will try to post up some renders soon. Right now I'm really trying to work out the palette. It needs a lot of work x_X. I decided to merge the concept a bit with some other influences. Here are two images that I'm currently using.

desims25

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 12:22:38 PM »

Here's an update of my work-in-progress. I'm much happier with it now than I was when I started. I'm debating whether or not I need additional light sources right now. I was thinking of adding some warm lights for contrast, but I also kind of like the frame being more blue overall.

prof_v

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:27:09 AM »
Hi Demorrius,
Coming along !
Very interesting reference. I really like the palette in  your first inspiration image, but since you are doing night I think that is not where you are headed.
For me, I'd like to see the models further along before you any more lighting and here is why. I'm not sure what other visual interest the environment will hold, and that would determine both framing and how much it is lit. For example, right now I'm feeling like the bg of the image holds little interest for the screen space it occupies, and I'd recommend cropping... but I can see from the boxes that some is temp geo so I don't know what better geo will do. Also, your character has no hair. I'm imagining the hair will catch the a fabulous rim light, and that it will be an important part of both the character and the image - so I'd get this added before proceeding. Then you can evaluate how these elements transform the image as a whole, and proceed from there.
I think you may need a way to see the character's face better - unless you are going for an obscured face. An obscured face is often uncomfortable however. Think about it.
As a minor note, I'd either overlap the character's face with the "harp" more OR give it more space. If it was my image I'd opt for more space and work with the lighting to see your character's profile.
Looking forward to seeing more!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:30:49 AM by prof_v »

prof_v

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 11:31:39 AM »
On another note, I really like the palette in the first two images. Very warm and appealing!

desims25

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 04:36:07 PM »
Hi Professor,

Thank you for all of the feedback on my last post. I continued working with the project and incorporating what you suggested, but I was never able to get it to a point where I was really happy with the look. It didn't feel character-centric enough for what I wanted the image to be and I just wasn't happy with the palette either. So I started a new project. Here's a wip. You can see a lot more face this time :). He doesn't have hair, but I did have to work to get his skin painted and reacting well. I'm not done texturing and I'm still adding grasses, but here's where I'm at now: