Author Topic: Kim's Match to Live Action  (Read 219 times)

Kim_Czerniewski

Kim's Match to Live Action
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:44:38 PM »
I got a ton of shots today! Here are my favorites of the ones I took, except I unfortunately didn't realize the outside ones were only jpegs so I'll be going out tomorrow to reshoot these two, and to also get some more locations since my battery was dying before I took pictures at all the locations at Piedmont Park that I was hoping to get.

Kim_Czerniewski

Re: Kim's Match to Live Action
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:21:02 PM »
The cloud cover today kills me. I got a bunch more pictures at Piedmont Park today, this time with RAWs but I can't help mourn what could've been if I could've gotten these with the beautiful bright blue sky light from yesterday instead of the flat white diffuse today gave. But of all the pictures I took this weekend these are my 4 favorites! In the clean plates of the one on the 3rd and 4th of this set, the humans do become less noticeable. And I shot these with enormous resolutions so I could probably afford to crop into them if need be.

Kim_Czerniewski

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 04:37:01 PM »
Here's some progress! I think I've got it matching pretty well so far just in maya! Here's the reference I'm going with then my CG ball then my object.

NicoleTaylor

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 08:10:40 PM »
I think the lighting needs darker shadows on the bottom of the white ball. Also, the specular is too high on the butterfly's wing.

TamekaA

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 09:38:22 PM »
I think you could use more warm bounce light on the ball. I don't think you'd be able to see it very well since the butterfly is flying so high though. I don't think you'd be able to see most of the closer to the ground lights when the added object is flying above it. It's also hard to ground the object when it doesn't cast a visible shadow, I think. Can you try finding a butterfly that you can perch on the trunk where your ball is?

Kim_Czerniewski

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 01:52:17 AM »
Thanks for the input! These are still renders straight from Maya, but I think a lot of my trouble will be fixed a bit better with Nuke

Edit: I actually went in and separated out these render layers and pulled it into Nuke for a preliminary composite too.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 02:26:50 AM by Kim_Czerniewski »

aaware

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
that is amazing i really like that cast shadow. this shot reminded me of fantastic beasts. really nice job.

prof_v

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »
The ball looks better with a warmer shadow, nice improvement. The shadow density is a good match to the cast shadow side, but I'd actually lighten it a bit (not too much) as butterfly wings are translucent and pass light through. I can imagine this one animating!

NicoleTaylor

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »
I still think that specular highlight on the wing is too thick. Looks rubbery. However, it might be an issue with the model. The shadows are working well though!

Kim_Czerniewski

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 11:46:52 PM »
Here's my current render.

Thank you for all the advice! I lightened the shadows a little bit!

That sounds an awful lot like a challenge to animate it there, Professor Bowman!

That wasn't a specular highlight, Nichole. It was a spot pattern on the texture. If it's being misread that bad, I changed it.

Kim_Czerniewski

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 01:40:30 AM »
I think I'm ready to call this more or less finished! I did some final color adjustments, making the whole image get a little bit more saturated and contrasted for some more visual appeal.

And whether you intended it as a challenge or not, Professor Bowman, I animated my butterfly wings fluttering.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:52:02 AM by Kim_Czerniewski »

TamekaA

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 02:17:13 AM »
I can absolutely see the improvement in the new one! Wonderful job Kim! My only personal nitpick is that I sorta wish the project would've let you chose one of the frames from your animation with stronger shadows. I can see the shadows better than before in your real render, but the shadows felt even nicer in the animation when they weren't blending in with the tree so much. This one is closer to your reference, though, so I understand why you used it.

dmccor20

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 02:53:45 AM »
I love how you animated it! Thats cool!!

prof_v

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 03:29:40 PM »
Yay!
So how did you upload the movie file?